Black Visions is seeking a Development Director to lead the long-term resource mobilization strategy necessary to actualize our vision and support our on-going work. This role will develop and implement fundraising strategies, manage grants, and build relationships with philanthropic funders, Black Visions staff, and partners. The vision for this role is to also lead the growth of major donors and support movement ecosystem-wide resource mobilization initiatives.
In the first year, this role will participate and support Black Visions strategic planning process and implement determined development strategies including hiring and managing new development staff.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well as our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota. Black Visions Collective is our state’s only Black movement-building organization. We see as central to our work the development of a Black-led ecosystem of arts, politics, and culture. Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, intentionally developing our organization’s core “DNA” to ensure sustainability and develop Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: BLVC is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: BLVC believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
About this role: The Development Director will be joining at a moment of extreme growth and attention for Black Visions, and is a new role within the organization. We are looking to welcome a deeply relational, detail-oriented, and visionary person. This role will be filled by someone who understands the traditional philanthropy landscape and thinks outside the box to actualize fundraising strategies that align with our values.
If you are rooted in community-oriented resource mobilization practice and excited to strategically bring to fruition our freedom dreams by working to maximize donor relationships to support the growth of Black Visions and a broader Black Movement Ecosystem, the squad is ready for you!
Essential Duties and Functions
Organizational Administration and Internal Development
- Work with Co-Directors and Director of Finance and Operations (the Management Team) to pace and drive organizational development, including analysis and implementation of priorities, partnerships, and infrastructure needs
- Work with the Management Team and finance staff on the organization’s fundraising targets and activities, including budgeting, compliance, and reporting
- Work with lead staff to develop program-specific fundraising materials and evaluate outcomes (quantitative and qualitative data)
- Planning and evaluating fundraising campaigns and activities
- Creating fundraising materials for outreach
- Recruiting and training volunteers as needed
- As a result of our 2021 strategic planning process, develop a long-term strategy for resource mobilization
- Work with Black Visions Co-Directors and leadership team to ensure effective funder/donor stewardship and relationship building with strategic partners
- Conduct assessments of fundraising prospects and develop briefing materials for Co-Directors in advance of funder meetings/events
- Manage a team of staff, contractors, and volunteers to implement strategies
- Develop, implement, and manage a relational major donor program
- Build intentional local and national relationships to stay on top of innovative fundraising strategies. Represent Black Visions at key fundraising events and build strategic partnerships with prospective donors, partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Research and identify best practices for internal systems with an eye toward future needs and funding realities; especially for Black, Queer and Trans led power building
- Regularly develop communications for donors via email, phone, and/or social media and website
- Communicating with donors and staff via email, phone, or social media
- Utilize database (EveryAction) for fundraising reporting, donor relationship building, and supporter analysis
- Work alongside Co-Directors on initiatives and build relationships to resource a broader Black movement ecosystem including supporting Black Visions process in 2021 to redistribute funds raised during 2020 Uprising
- Define and implement Black Visions’ multi-year fundraising plan, including a systematic strategy to identify, solicit, steward, maintain and upgrade giving from multiple prospects
- Produce fundraising materials: grant proposals, funder reports, and contributions to related communications materials
- Lead grants management acknowledging and monitoring grants, processing contracts, developing internal reporting systems, and archiving all proposals with a long-term relationship management approach
- Work with the finance team to maintain accurate accounting of all income and its sources and restrictions. Interface with Black Visions team and fiscal sponsor to fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy.
- Regularly report to Co-Directors and leadership team on resource mobilization progress.
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership position developing and implementing resource mobilization strategies for racial justice nonprofit organizations
- 3+ years directly managing multiple support staff, contractors, and volunteers
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission, vision, and values
- Experience and cultural competence working in African Diaspora communities within a social justice organizing context
- Experience training other staff/volunteers in fundraising strategies and theories. Organized and creative team leader.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and MSWord as well as GSuite
- Strong attention to detail
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Proclivity toward curiosity
- Can flexibly share leadership and build consensus.
Must be willing and able to:
- Communicate needs and boundaries as they arise
- Delegate tasks to focus on their primary role and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Work some evenings and weekends
Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy. Salary range: $ 63,000- 70,000 pending experience.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and one work sample demonstrating your fundraising planning experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please label email: Development Director– YOUR NAME. All files should be shared as docx or PDF.
Priority will be given to applications received by February 1st, 2021. The position will remain open until the right candidate is found.