Reclaim the Block seeks a Coalition Organizer for a four-month short-term position. The person in this role will focus on coordinating organizational partnerships to develop shared strategies towards police abolition efforts in Minnesota.
From September to December, they will serve as the RTB point person for a coalition of community groups and neighborhood teams seeking to develop new models of community-led safety and abolish the Minneapolis Police Department.
This organizer will develop and implement a strategy for engaging with dozens of existing partners, recruit new coalition members, and ensure coalition work is in alignment with our vision of a police-free Minneapolis. They will help coalition partners join and take on meaningful roles in a citywide campaign to build a “People’s Budget” and engage their members to envision community safety beyond MPD.
The Coalition Organizer will develop meaningful relationships, acting from principles of mutual aid and solidarity, to ensure that our movement ecosystem has what it needs to succeed in the coming months and years.
Candidates should be excited about joining a team amidst significant growth and in process of developing core structures.
About Reclaim the Block
Reclaim the Block is a campaign focused on defunding and dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department and building up the resources that keep communities safe. The campaign is anchored by leadership from Black Visions alongside a multiracial group of other community members.
About the position
- Compensation: $55,000 / year scale; full time, temporary, salaried
- Benefits: This position qualifies for a full and generous package of employee benefits.
- Period of Contract: September 1 – December 31, 2020
This position will be supervised and funded by Reclaim the Block and hired through our anchor organization, Black Visions, through their fiscal sponsor, TakeAction Minnesota.
- Organize and facilitate regular coalition calls
- Maintain relationships with existing partners through 1-1 check-ins and work groups
- Attend RTB organizing team calls multiple times per week
- Work to develop new partnerships with Latinx, Southeast Asian, East African, Native and Black organizations and community members
- Coordinate resource sharing with partners, ensuring all parties have what they need to be successful in their missions
- 3+ years of experience in community organizing
- Experience organizing with communities of color
- Experience managing coalitions and networks
- Working knowledge of Minneapolis politics and relationships with local BIPOC leaders
- Experience with a language prevalent in Minneapolis communities (e.g. Spanish, Hmong, Somali)
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills; experience using Signal, Google Docs, Zoom, and other basic internet based technology and data entry/management platforms
- Strong meeting facilitation skills ensuring that all participants are heard in an environment that includes many different intersectional identities and relationships to power
- Comfort with building, managing, and achieving workplans with limited oversight
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Delegating tasks as necessary to focus on your primary role
- Fluency in at least one language other than English (Spanish or Somali) preferred
- Commitment to racial, economic, gender, LGBTQIA+, and disability justice.
- Understanding of and commitment to abolitionist principles, including transformative justice, mutual aid, and community defense
- Working in collective or cooperative settings
- Experience or interest in consensus-based decision-making frameworks
- Comfort communicating needs and boundaries as they arise
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter ASAP. We intend to make a hire by August 31st.
Reclaim The Block is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage those from, and who have experience working within, Black, indigenous and LGBTQ communities to apply.