The role of the Deputy Director is to develop, solidify, and communicate the internal operations of the organization while also engaging with external partners.
This role will oversee all aspects across programming, operations, administration of the organization. The Deputy Director will report directly to a Co-Director, to be determined upon hire, and is responsible for working closely in collaboration with both the Development Director and HR Manager to ensure the effective implementation of fundraising and strategic planning strategies to expand capacity and support the pursuit of our mission and vision.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well as our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota. Black Visions Collective is our state’s only Black movement building organization and see as central to our work, the development of a Black-led ecosystem of arts, politics, and culture. Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, intentionally develop our organizations’ core “DNA” to ensure sustainability, and develop Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: BLVC is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: BLVC believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
The Deputy Director supports Co-Directors in strategic leadership of the organization, manages and evaluates operations, policies and practices, works collaboratively with the Development Director, HR Manager, and Finance Manager to ensure that Black Visions meets its set deliverables or can communicate transparently when the organization will not and why. In addition to internal functions, the Deputy Director’s role is external facing and engages with the Board of Director, partners, media, and community stakeholders on behalf of the organization.
Strategic Direction and Leadership
- Support leadership, crew leads, and consultants to ensure the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop and manage a standard evaluation process for measuring the strategic plan for the next 5 years
- Create and work with administrative staff to maintain an environment where we can be accountable to our planning rooted in Transformative Justice
- Be a thought partner with Co-Directors around pace, scale, and priorities of the work
- Manage the organization in absence of Co-Directors
- Manage the researching, purchasing, and usage of all Black Visions operating resources (office, technology, project management software, supply inventory, etc) and vendor contracts with Executive Coordinator
- Research, coordinate, and lead administrative and financial transition from fiscal sponsor with support of current team
- Develop innovative and holistic practices to support staff and internal organizational culture including but not limited to processes that evaluate and adapt employee handbook and membership handbook
- Approve HR processes that are consistent and values-aligned regarding hiring practices, performance evaluations and employee recordkeeping
- Approve resource mobilization (development) work plan for the organization, ensuring it is accountable and meeting necessary goals, including raising annual goal
- Evaluate, update, and maintain IT, Social Media, and Security protocol with support of external security agencies
- Effectively communicate, divide, and assign work/tasks, delegating appropriate levels of autonomy and authority while supporting interdependent work plans
- Work with Finance Manager to ensure legal and financial compliance
- Prepare analysis of data and other evidence related to the progress of the organization
External Partner and Board Engagement
- Correspond with and support Policy Board regarding involvement, operations reports, and meeting coordination
- Collaborate with Development Director regarding Board and external giving and maintaining the organizational targets
- Serve as one of Black Visions’ key spokespeople and ambassadors as well as act as liaison with Black Visions fiscal sponsor to all administrative, finance, and operations projects
Strong candidates will have: 5-7 years of professional experience in Black Liberation movement building, community organizing, electoral politics, communications, issue advocacy or a closely related field is required; 3-5+ years professional experience in financial or operations management with at least 2 years in leadership roles; the ability to collaborate effectively while working independently; and an understanding of basic bookkeeping.
Must be willing and able to:
- Communicate needs and boundaries as they arise
- Delegate tasks to focus on their primary role and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Work some evenings and weekends
- This position is an employee of Black Visions, a fiscal sponsee of TakeAction Minnesota
- Salary range $70,000-78,000 commensurate with experience
- Full health and dental benefits and retirement package, as well as extensive paid time off policy and investments in personal and professional development
- Submit a resume, cover letter, and 2-3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Label email: Deputy Director– YOUR NAME. All files should be shared as .docx or .pdf
- Priority will be given to applications received by June 1st, 2021. Position will remain open until the right candidate is found.