TakeAction Minnesota is a multiracial people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding 14 years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of shifting the political landscape, advancing democracy and justice through bold policy campaigns, grassroots organizing, leadership development, movement politics, and strategic communications.
TakeAction Minnesota is seeking a Human Resources Coordinator. This position is responsible for the coordination of a wide variety of professional human resources services including hiring, onboarding, benefits administration, performance management, and timekeeping. This position is part of the Operations Team and also supports organizational logistics including facilities management and events. We are a small organization and operations at TakeAction Minnesota is a team effort. We are seeking a flexible team member who will step up to support the team, identify opportunities for customer service for the staff, and provide leadership across the organization. A successful candidate for this position believes in our mission, and not only understands the value in supporting the program staff who fight every day for the people who live in communities across our state, but also actively seeks ways to live out our mission and values through our direct operational practices.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate recruitment efforts with hiring managers, including posting job openings, managing applicant information, and scheduling interviews.
- Administer onboarding process for new hires and offboarding for exiting employees, including gathering and tracking documentation and basic organizational training.
- Coordinate logistics for benefit administration and provide staff benefit assistance.
- Track performance review calendar and documentation.
- Maintain employee personnel files, electronically and physically.
- Assist with timekeeping completion and payroll every two weeks.
- Provide resources, training and coaching to all staff of employee policies, human resources procedures and union articles.
- Process leave benefits, worker’s compensation claims, and COBRA letters.
- Act as liaison to Fiscally Sponsored Organizations (FSO) for coordination of human resources.
Organizational Effectiveness and Operations
- Provide administrative and logistical support for organizational effectiveness efforts including, but not limited to, providing meeting notes, scheduling, event food, and meeting material management.
- Participate in large operations-related projects at multiple statewide locations including St. Paul, Duluth, and St. Cloud, as needed.
- Participate in all-hands organization-wide events including Annual Meeting, People’s Celebration, and Get Out the Vote.
- Coordinate special projects for Human Resources Director as needed.
- Detail Oriented – Holds the highest standards of accuracy and precision, is highly organized, meets deadlines and manages multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment, is articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Stakeholder Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external stakeholders, gets first-hand stakeholder information and uses it for improvements in services, acts with stakeholders in mind, establishes and maintains effective relationships with stakeholders and gains their trust and respect.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization, builds appropriate rapport, builds constructive and effective relationships, uses diplomacy and tact, can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably, proven ability to be assertive yet approachable.
- Learning Agility – Learns quickly when facing new problems, a relentless and versatile learner, and open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement, experiments and will try anything to find solutions, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – Can effectively cope with change, can shift gears comfortably, can decide and act without having the total picture, isn’t upset when things are up in the air, doesn’t have to finish things before moving on, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 2 years of general office administrative experience is required. At least 1 year of human resources experience is preferred.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple competing projects and tasks.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong sense of personal initiative.
- Excellent personal accountability and follow through.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers.
- Experience fostering an inclusive environment and appreciation of differences and social justice in the workplace. Display cultural sensitivity, competency, and professionalism when conducting business.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
- Complete and coordinate special projects as needed.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and starts at $42,000. Category: Coordinator 2.
- Full health and dental benefits and retirement package.
- This position is NOT a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports directly to the Human Resources Director. Position will be located in our St. Paul office, but may include some travel throughout the state at times. In response to COVID-19, all employees are encouraged and resourced to work from home.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references attention Alejandra Medrano, Human Resources Director, care of firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Human Resources Coordinator. Application review will begin March 8, 2021 at 9:00 am. Position is open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.