Black Visions role of Lead Campaigns and Policy Organizer will lead the development of Black Visions’ power building campaigns and strategies. By co-managing a team of organizers, this role will help to develop healthy movement ecosystems, innovative strategy plans, and policy organizing to ensure Black Visions is leading campaigns capable of winning transformative change. This role will lead strategies that focus on public and partner engagement to Black Visions’ campaigns related to community safety and environmental justice. Through relationship building and regular communication, this role will work with partners committed to following Black leadership. This role will work with the Lead Membership and Base Building Organizer to evolve Black Visions organizing and membership process ensuring we are building Black leaders and members, shaping then implementing campaign and movement building strategy.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants, must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
Organizational Leadership and Management:
- Managing organizing staff (1-3FTE) and co-leading organizing team
- Serve as a spokesperson to communicate vision and work of Black Visions
- Supporting resource development activities including: doing membership asks, supporting on grants and funder relationships, supporting fundraisers, leading house parties
Power Building Campaigns
- Leading strategy development for Black Visions transformative organizing campaigns including #DefundMPD and developing long term environmental justice strategies
- Leading campaign tactics including escalation and direct action, member coordination, supporting communications strategy, and power mapping
- Coordinate with staff and members around rapid response efforts
- Lead the development of a long term cohesive strategy for Black Visions;
- Leading policy research and writing efforts to develop projects/campaigns and communicate to base, funders, and partners
- Developing relationships and working with key stakeholders and elected officials
- Leading mass community engagement strategies as related to campaigns
- Leading organizing team in designing and implementing base building activities including community events, trainings, and direct community outreach
- Working with organizing team to develop trainings and events for broader community members to engage in campaigns
Movement Ecosystem Building
- Build and sustain relationship with many organizational partners
- Support Environmental Justice Organizer and BIPOC coalition organizing project
- Developing relationships and coordinating organizing strategies with national partners
Experience and Qualifications
- 5+ years experience leading community engagement efforts
- Supporting multiple staff in the role of manager
- Organizing in Black communities
- Experience managing coalitions and networks
- Working knowledge of local politics and relationships with local BIPOC leaders
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills; experience using Microsoft Suite, basic internet based technology and data entry/management
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission and vision
- Time and project management skills; ability to pivot to meet current events and organizational needs while maintaining attention to detail
- Working in collective or cooperative settings
- Creating and building strong foundations for base building strategies
- Developing curricula
- Developing on-going community based programs
- Continuing and/or adapting previously developed programming
- Outgoing, positive, and open personality
- Drivers License and access to transportation
Must be willing and able to:
- Communicate needs and boundaries as they arise
- Delegate tasks to focus on their primary role
- Speak in front of small and large groups translation provided as necessary)
- Speak to what Abolition is and why it is essential to Black liberation
- Have a driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy.
Salary range: $55,000 – 60,000
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and one work sample demonstrating your campaign and strategy development experience to email@example.com by July 27th.
Black Visions is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage those with experience working within Black and LGBTQ communities, to apply.