Black Visions role of Lead Membership and Base Building Organizer will lead the development of Black Visions’ membership by designing and implementing systems, programs, and community engagement that expands our base and creates deeper connection between Black Visions and the broader Black community. By co-managing a team of organizers, this role will help to develop healthy internal systems, regular programming, and communication to foster a healthy, leaderful, and connected membership. This role will lead strategies that focus on political education and leadership development to nourish emerging Black leaders. This role will work closely with the Membership Organizer to evolve Black Visions membership process. Through regular programming and base building strategies, this role will build systems to deeply engage new members and foster the leadership of existing members and partners.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
Organizational Leadership and Management:
- Co-Managing all base building and membership programs, campaigns, and initiatives ensuring a cohesive strategy to build power of Black Visions
- Managing organizing staff (1-3 FTE), contractors, and co-leading organizing team
- Serve as a spokesperson to communicate vision and work of Black Visions to partners and community members
- Supporting resource development activities including: doing membership asks, supporting on grants and funder relationships, supporting fundraisers, house parties
- Leading organizing team in designing and implementing base building activities including community events, trainings, and direct community outreach
- Leading a membership program that includes regular meetings, multi-day gatherings, and working with organizing team to develop trainings & events to deepen membership capacity and engagement
- Leading development of membership absorption and managing retention processes
- Manage development and on-going work of member working groups
- Inviting people into dues-paying membership
- Developing relationships with emerging and potential members through 1-1 conversations, direct engagement, and follow up
- Manage coordination of communications to membership via database/email, social media, and direct phone calls; work with communications team to develop strategies to communicate and connect to potential new members
- Develop, implement, and manage strategies to develop new leaders and provide political education opportunities for broader community
- Leading work that supports members in growing their capacity to implement long term strategies and projects including supporting member led initiatives; host trainings to support capacity building of leadership
- Manage organizing team to develop and track leadership development activities for members including conferences, projects, and trainings
Experience and Qualifications
Must have experience:
- 5+ years experience leading community engagement efforts
- Supporting multiple staff/volunteers/interns in the role of manager
- Organizing in Black communities, especially Black LBTQ communities
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills; experience using Microsoft Suite, basic internet based technology and data entry/management
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission and vision
- Time and project management skills; ability to pivot to meet current events and organizational needs
- Working in collective or cooperative settings
- Creating and building strong foundations for base building strategies
- Developing curricula
- Developing on-going community based programs
- Continuing and/or adapting previously developed programming
- Outgoing, positive, and open personality
Must be willing and able to:
- Communicate needs and boundaries as they arise
- Delegate tasks to focus on their primary role
- Speak in front of small and large groups (translation provided as necessary)
- Speak to what Abolition is and why it is essential to Black liberation
- Have a driver’s license and access to reliable transportation
Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy.
Salary range: $55,000 – 60,000
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and one work sample demonstrating your program development experience to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 27th.
Black Visions is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage those with experience working within Black and LGBTQ communities, to apply.