THE ORGANIZATION: TakeAction Minnesota is a multiracial people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding 14 years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of shifting the political landscape, advancing democracy and justice through bold policy campaigns, grassroots organizing, leadership development, movement politics, and strategic communications.
POSITION SUMMARY: This person will work with our political team as the Lead Organizer for our Field Team to win real change in our state by building power with people in Minnesota and connecting them to the rest of TakeAction’s work. They will work to build out our field infrastructure and support the field program to become more powerful in issue & electoral campaigns by activating them and engaging them in our work; deeply investing in supporting a program that puts our people and our vision at the center. The primary areas of responsibility for this position will be supporting and building out our field team, investing in the current TakeAction Minnesota political base, absorbing and activating new political leaders to engage in our elections and campaigns powerfully, and supporting across our organization throughout multiple teams and campaigns as we move forward in our priorities for 2021.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITES — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop strategy, infrastructure, and materials for our political program in coordination with multiple teams.
- Support the election of our endorsed candidates for office, and build & win issue campaigns in close coordination with the Statewide Field Manager.
- Build and support field infrastructure across organization that centers our people and allows us to run robust field through 2021 and beyond.
- Support and develop strategy in building out our mass base across the state of Minnesota.
- Anchor electoral skills trainings for both our political base and our broader deep base.
- Use organizing tools (canvassing, textbanking, phonebanking, one-to-one’s, powerful asks, etc.) to engage Minnesotans in our work, develop deep relationships with them, and support their leadership development.
- Develop and meet goals for each of these responsibilities, manage and meet a variety of goals throughout the seasons of the work, and update organizational database systems.
- Work with other staff to plan and execute cross-organizational events, grassroots fundraising and new member cultivation, communications plans, digital outreach plans, trainings, and other issue campaign actions.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least two years of experience organizing, whether through community organizing, electoral politics, or issue campaigns.
- Proven track record of delivery of results and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- At least one year of experience analyzing data and using that data to build out a strategic plan in a political context.
- A natural sense of curiosity about people and the ability to relate to them. Experience initiating conversations with community members about their stories, hopes, fears, challenges, and a willingness to be bold in conversations with strangers and volunteers.
- Experience facilitating meetings, trainings, and/or group gatherings that move people to action.
- Ability to pay attention to the details, be vigilant about tracking goal progress, and meet deadlines. Computer literacy and experience with MS Office Suite.
- Willingness to speak up, suggest new ideas, receive feedback, adjust plans to ensure successful completion of goals, and be part of the solution.
- Excellent communications skills through a variety of channels, including written and oral.
- A relational leader and good team player, able to work with a broad team of staff and grassroots leaders, work well with others in a coalition setting, and motivate diverse groups of people. Ability to practice showing up for co-workers with consistent follow-through and good communication.
- A demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, and gender justice and commitment to progressive political change.
- Ability to problem solve and manage own work schedule and priorities.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work will be temporarily performed from home, due to the current COVID crisis. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work, video calls, and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Salary starting at $50,000 a year, dependent on experience. This position is a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild unit and salary is based on its contract for Organizer Category 3.
- Full medical insurance, dental insurance, retirement packages.
- Ongoing leadership development of staff, including access to relevant trainings and conferences.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
- This position reports directly to the Statewide Field Manager.
- Position is located in Duluth, St. Cloud, or St. Paul, but will be temporarily performed from home due to COVID-19 and will require occasional travel.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references attention Ash Northey, Statewide Field Manager, care of firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line LEAD ORGANIZER – FIELD. This position is open until filled. However, the first round of application review will take place 11/20/2020.
NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.