Black Visions role of Lead Street Team Canvasser will join a cohort of over 20 others and 2 other Lead Canvassers to actively engage and educate community members around a new vision for safety in Minneapolis. This role will manage a team of 7-10 other canvassers, providing logistical support, in the field training, regular check ins, and team schedule management. This role will work 5 days/week talking directly with community members door-to-door, over the phone, at community events, and high traffic community hangouts. Additionally, they will participate and support leading 3 multi-day orientation and training sessions for the full cohort. This role will support the planning, implementation and mobilization to community political education and engagement events, trainings, and forums.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
- Lead a team of canvassers supported by the Street Team Manager in schedule management, regular check ins, training, and logistics/administrative coordination to ensure your team is successful in meeting weekly goals
- Engage in direct community outreach tactics 5 days/week for shifts of 5-8hrs/day and will support the facilitation/logistics of weekly cohort staff meetings
- Manage entry of data and materials collected during outreach
- Collect stories, surveys, and pledges from community members
- Participate and help facilitate 3 Training Retreats, as well as an on-boarding training, and on-going regular staff meetings/trainings
- Recruit and train volunteers to canvass, phonebank, and implement successful neighborhood based events
- Support mobilization of community members to political education and community engagement activities. Support Black Visions organizing staff in logistics and implementation.
- Identify community members interested in deeper engagement and/or volunteering
- Experience organizing around issue-based campaigns and community engagement tactics (door knocking, phonesbanks, street teams)
- Experience managing a team of staff/volunteers
- Proficient in smartphone/tablet technology
- Experience and interest in engaging with community members around issues of justice
- Experience using Microsoft Suite, basic internet based technology and willingness to learn data management and entry
- Outgoing, positive, and open personality
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience managing multiple deadlines, and maintaining attention to detail
- Commitment to the empowerment and engagement of all Black people
- Able to be outside, move around, and engage with individuals for multiple hours
- Able to primarily work nights and weekends between 12pm-8pm
Pay will be set at $30/hr for 30hrs/week in addition to qualifying for healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits after the first month of employment. This position will run from July 28th- November 8th.
All Qualified Candidates Must be available:
- On-boarding Training: July 28th and July 29th (8hrs each day)
- On-boarding of canvass cohort & Retreat #1: August 3rd- 6th
- Retreat #2: September 18th and 19th
- Retreat #3: November 7th and 8th
Please submit a resume and short description on why you are interested and qualified for this role (300 words or a 3-5 minute video) to email@example.com with the title “Lead Canvasser Application– YOUR NAME” asap and no later than July 22nd @ 12pmCT. Interviews and hiring with qualified candidates will be set on a rolling basis.