TakeAction Minnesota is a multiracial people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding 14 years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of shifting the political landscape, advancing democracy and justice through bold policy campaigns, grassroots organizing, leadership development, movement politics, and strategic communications.
TakeAction is seeking a new class of 6-8 participants in our Movement Politics Fellowship – a 10-week intensive program (Late August through Early November) to build skills for electoral and community organizing through the 2021 municipal elections.
- Join political education trainings about movement politics, public safety, housing, and other issues affecting voters and the municipal elections
- Receive in-depth skills training about community organizing, volunteer recruitment, data management for elections, leading direct voter contact shifts with radical hospitality, and about Deep Canvassing – a method of having honest and empathetic conversations with voters that has proven many times more effective than traditional canvassing
This Fellowship is designed for participants to learn to complete and lead relational and effective Deep Canvass conversations, volunteer trainings, and volunteer recruitment shifts.
The hourly wage for this position is $19/hr. $50 reimbursement for cell phone use.
Hours will vary. Most Deep Canvass phonebank and canvassing shifts are evenings and weekends. Fellowship trainings will be scheduled depending on overall availability of participants.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respectful, relational voter contact conversations via Deep Canvass door knocking and phone banking, about voting, supporting TakeAction Minnesota endorsed candidates, and public safety and housing ballot initiatives
- Volunteer recruitment via phone calls
- Assisting with leading Deep Canvass door knock and phone bank shifts, including training new and returning volunteers, managing tech and logistics, supporting debriefs and evaluations
- Assisting with preparing materials (sign-in sheets, training flip charts, scripts) and managing data from direct voter contact events
- Regular trainings on organizing and campaigning skills, and group or individual check-in meetings
- Other support for the municipals field program as needed
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
Reports To/Location and Other Information
This position reports to the Movement Building Director, Katie Blanchard. This position is not a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild unit.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and an email stating your interest in the position to email@example.com with the subject line Movement Politics Fellowship Program. Application review begins Sunday, August 8 at 11:59pm. Positions open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.