Black Visions role of Political Education Coordinator will implement and develop Black Vision’s political education training and program to support on-going community engagement work and the #DefundMPD campaign. By supporting the development of materials, a regular calendar of events, and a training team, this role will focus on creating spaces for community members to more deeply understand issues around abolition and building our collective vision for a Minneapolis without police. Additionally, they will support in coordinating partner organizations moving political education and mobilizing community members to city wide engagement processes.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
Political Education Programming
- Leading and helping to design a regular calendar of small and larg scale political education/visioning trainings; including leading logistics and trainer coordination
- Leading coordination of large scale broad community events that support campaign strategy timeline
- Develop, adjust, and disseminate resource guides to support broader community and partners in moving conversations about abolition in their own communities
- Communications to base via database/email, social media, and direct phone calls
- Gather and archive all political education materials
- Training/facilitating at events and training Black Visions members, partners, and community volunteers on materials and curriculum to implement themselves; will include leading Training for Trainers
- Supporting work that supports members in growing their capacity
- Working with partners to coordinate their own regular calendar and direct outreach; ensuring they have necessary materials
- Working with Black Visions organizing team and Reclaim the Block campaign team to creatively and emergently develop ways to share information and develop community members capacity to understand issues around abolition and the process to defund MPD
- Coordinating a volunteer training team
Experience and Qualifications
Applicant must have experience:
- 2+ years experience leading/supporting community engagement efforts
- Organizing in Black communities, especially Black LBTQ communities
- Excitement and investment in developing political education programs that are accessible, creative, and transformative for all involved
- Supporting volunteers/members in managing projects
- Experience using Microsoft Suite, basic internet based technology and data entry/management
- Experience training and facilitating small and large groups
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission and vision
- Developing a calendar of events; Leading logistics and program event coordination
- Willingness to learn in fast paced environment; flexibility to work in teams and independently
- Outgoing, positive, and open personality
Applicant must be willing and/or able learn to:
- Using and supporting database management
- Speaking in small and large groups
- Collaborative program development
- Receive delegated tasks and complete them in a timely manner
- Communicate when tasks cannot be completed as agreed
This is a full time salaried position. Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy. This position will end Dec 14th. This position will be hired with an initial contract with a potential for extension pending campaign and organizational needs to continue long term.
Salary Rate: $45,000-$49,000
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and one work sample demonstrating your ability to project plan to firstname.lastname@example.org asap and no later than July 22nd @ 12pmCT. Interviews and hiring with qualified candidates will be set on a rolling basis.
Black Visions is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage those with experience working within Black and LGBTQ communities, to apply.