TakeAction Minnesota is a multiracial people’s organization that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding 16 years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of shifting the political landscape, advancing democracy and justice through bold policy campaigns, grassroots organizing, leadership development, movement politics, and strategic communications.
This organizer will work to engage people in the work to strengthen our democracy and politics in Minnesota. This organizer will build active teams who want to develop their leadership, mobilize their communities, and learn and take action together on electoral and issue campaigns.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Use organizing tools and outreach strategies on a daily basis (canvassing, doorknocking, phonebanking, one-to-one’s, powerful asks, etc.) to engage Minnesotans, develop deep relationships with them, and support their leadership development.
- Identify, recruit, train, and move activists into teams, roles, leadership, and regular action, political education, and organizing with each other and with their own families, friends, and communities.
- Plan and lead effective organizing meetings and trainings to build community, develop leadership, and move work forward. Collaborate with other staff to plan and execute meetings, trainings, and other events.
- Develop, manage, track, and meet goals and plans independently and with a team, throughout the seasons of the work.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A natural sense of curiosity about people and the ability to build rapport with diverse groups of people. Ability to both be a good listener and be bold in conversations with strangers and volunteers.
- A demonstrated commitment to economic, racial, and gender justice and commitment to progressive political change.
- Willingness to speak up, suggest new ideas, receive feedback, adjust plans to ensure successful completion of goals, and be part of the solution.
- Ability to practice showing up for leaders and co-workers with consistent follow-through and good communication.
- Unafraid of being challenged and challenging coworkers in order to reflect on and grow in leadership development.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures, and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage. Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
- Salary starting at $50,000 a year, dependent on experience. Category: Organizer 2.
- This position is a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
- Full health and dental benefits. TakeAction Minnesota pays 95% of monthly insurance premiums for employees and their families.
- 401(k) and Roth 401(k) Retirement plans with up to 3% employer match.
- Ongoing leadership development of staff, including access to relevant trainings and conferences.
- Full-time employees regularly work at least thirty-two (32) hours or more per week.
- 3 weeks annual vacation first year plus paid office closure at year end.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
- This position reports directly to the Deputy Director.
- Position can be based out of any of our offices (St. Paul, Duluth, St. Cloud) and will be required to occasionally travel.
- In response to COVID-19, employees are resourced to work from home or under a hybrid model temporarily.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references attention Amanda Otero, Deputy Director to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line POLITICAL ORGANIZER. The position is open until filled, and application review will begin Monday, May 2nd.
NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals, and women.