Black Visions role of Street Team Canvasser will join a cohort of over 20 others to actively engage and educate community members around a new vision for safety in Minneapolis. This role will work 4 days/week talking directly with community members door-to-door, over the phone, at community events, and high traffic community hangouts. Additionally, they will participate in 3 multi-day orientation and training sessions. This role will support the implementation and mobilization to community political education and engagement events, trainings, and forums.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
- Engage in direct community outreach tactics 4 days/week for shifts of 5-8hrs/day
- Enter data and materials collected during outreach
- Collect stories, surveys, and pledges from community members
- Participate in 3 multi-day Training Retreats and regular staff meetings/trainings
- Support mobilization of community members to political education and community engagement activities
- Identify community members interested in deeper engagement and/or volunteering
- Experience and interest in engaging with community members around issues of justice
- Experience using basic internet based technology and willingness to learn data management and entry
- Strong interpersonal skills and maintaining attention to detail
- Outgoing, positive, and open personality
- Commitment to the empowerment and engagement of all Black people
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Proficient in smartphone/tablet technology
- Able to be outside, move around, and engage with individuals for multiple hours
- Able to primarily work nights and weekends between 12pm-8pm
Pay will be set at $25/hr for 25hrs/week in addition to qualifying for healthcare, retirement, and paid time off benefits after the first month of employment. This position will run from July 28th- November 8th.
All Qualified Candidates Must be available:
- On-boarding of canvass cohort & Retreat #1: August 3rd- 6th
- Retreat #2: September 18th and 19th
- Retreat #3: November 7th and 8th
Please submit a resume and short description on why you are interested and qualified for this role (300 words or a 3-5 minute video) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Street Team Application– YOUR NAME” by July 24th @ 12pmCT.