Black Visions role of Street Team Manager will lead a cohort of over 20 others to actively engage and educate community members around a new vision for safety in Minneapolis, that does not include police. This role will directly manage 3 Lead Canvassers and manage the larger cohort, providing logistical support, in the field training, regular check ins, and team schedule management. This role will work to develop a clear field plan while coordinating with partners. They will lead the development of outreach materials (flyers, scripts, surveys, etc.), coordinate transportation, and data management. Additionally, they will help to lead 3 multi-day orientation and training sessions for the full cohort. This role will co-lead the planning, implementation and mobilization to community political education and engagement events, trainings, and forums.
About Black Visions Collective:
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants, must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
- Lead a team of over 20 canvassers and directly manage 3 Lead Canvassers providing schedule management, regular check ins, training, and logistics/administrative coordination to ensure team is successful in meeting weekly goals and effective
- Lead mobilization tactics of community members to political education and community engagement activities. Support Black Visions organizing staff in logistics and implementation.
- Coordinate with Lead Staff at partner organizations for joint outreach events, turf planning, and training opportunities for staff
- Engage in direct community outreach tactics
- Lead facilitation/logistics of weekly cohort staff meetings
- Maintain integrity of data and materials collected during outreach
- Collect stories, surveys, and pledges from community members
- Lead Training Retreats and regular staff meetings/trainings
- Identify community members interested in deeper engagement and/or volunteering
- Manage the recruitment and training of volunteers to canvass, phonebank, and implement successful neighborhood based events
- Provide cohort teams with a positive leadership culture, resources, guidance, and technical support
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Experience managing a large canvass/street team of staff organizing around issue-based campaigns and community engagement tactics (door knocking, phonesbanks, street teams)
- Experience organizing in Black communities
- Working knowledge of local politics and relationships with local BIPOC leaders
- Experience and interest in engaging with community members around issues of justice
- Proficiency using Microsoft Suite, basic internet based technology
- Proficiency in data and field turf management
- Positive and open personality
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience managing multiple deadlines, and maintaining attention to detail
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission and vision
- Time and project management skills; ability to pivot to meet current events and organizational needs while maintaining attention to detail
- Drivers License and access to transportation
This is a full time salaried position. Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy. This position will be hired immediately and last through November 15th.
All Qualified Candidates Must be available:
- On-boarding Training: July 27th28th and July 29th (8hrs each day)
- On-boarding of canvass cohort & Retreat #1: August 3rd- 6th
- Retreat #2: September 18th and 19th
- Retreat #3: November 7th and 8th
Salary range: $50,000- 55,000
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and one work sample demonstrating your ability to develop field project plans to email@example.com — asap and no later than July 22nd @ 12pmCT. Interviews and hiring with qualified candidates will be set on a rolling basis.
Black Visions is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage those with experience working within Black and LGBTQ communities, to apply.