Note: This position works under TakeAction Minnesota, but supports Black Visions Collective.
THE ORGANIZATION: TakeAction Minnesota is a multiracial people’s network that brings democracy alive in communities across our state. We connect individuals and organizations to each other, creating a powerful force that makes change happen where it wasn’t possible before. Since its founding 14 years ago, TakeAction Minnesota has grown its breadth and depth. Our membership has grown 10-fold and touches every legislative district in the state. Our social media presence is robust. Our grassroots leadership is well-trained and shapes and implements the strategy of our various campaigns. As a result, TakeAction Minnesota has a track record of shifting the political landscape, advancing democracy and justice through bold policy campaigns, grassroots organizing, leadership development, movement politics, and strategic communications.
Black Visions Collective is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence. Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Since 2017, Black Visions Collective, has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well, our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota. Through our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
This is a temporary, full-time position through June 30, 2021. The Black Visions Collective Human Resources Manager position is responsible for guiding Black Visions Collective managers and staff through a wide variety of professional human resources services including hiring, performance management, and discipline. This position also supports organizational logistics including facilities management, vendor contracts, and events. We are a small organization and operations at Black Visions Collective is a team effort. We are seeking a flexible team member who will step up to support the team, identify opportunities for customer service for the staff, and provide leadership across the organization. A successful candidate for this position believes in our mission, and not only understands the value in supporting the program staff who fight every day for the people who live in communities across our state, but also actively seeks ways to live out our mission and values through our direct operational practices. The Black Visions Collective Human Resources Manager reports to the Director of Finance and Operations.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES — Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate all human resources activities including hiring process, onboarding and offboarding of employees, performance review process, timekeeping, payroll, benefits, and employee files.
- Manage and maintain employee personnel files and job descriptions.
- Administer employee policies and create handbook updates. Provide resources and counsel employees on navigating internal policies and procedures.
- Support internal organizational culture building, including survey administration
- Participate in Operations Team wide projects that support the organization.
- Support special projects of Black Visions Collective and the Director of Finance and Operations, as necessary.
Executive Support – BLVC
- Provide administrative support for the Black Visions Collective Director, as necessary.
- Support event, retreat, and training logistics.
- Support individual work planning efforts.
- Support special projects of the leadership team, as necessary
- Detail Oriented – Holds the highest standards of accuracy and precision, is highly organized, meets deadlines and manages multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment, is articulate with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- People Centered – Dedicated to meeting the expectations of staff, members and partners, acts with people’s best interest in mind, establishes and maintains effective relationships to practice trust and respect.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization, builds appropriate rapport, builds constructive and effective relationships, uses diplomacy and tact, can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably, proven ability to be assertive yet approachable.
- Learning Agility – Learns quickly when facing new problems, a relentless and versatile learner, and open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement, experiments and will try anything to find solutions, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – Can effectively cope with change, can shift gears comfortably, can decide and act without having the total picture, isn’t upset when things are up in the air, doesn’t have to finish things before moving on, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Focused on Inclusivity – Has a strong commitment to gender, racial and economic justice and progressive political change, displays cultural sensitivity, competency, and professionalism in the workplace.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of general office administrative experience or equivalent.
- Establishing and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, organizational partners, community representatives, and elected officials.
- Demonstrated experience identifying complex problems and developing solutions, strong sense of personal initiative.
- Experience with human resources, executive calendars, and/or events, a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple competing projects and tasks.
- Excellent personal accountability and follow through
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and progressive political change.
- Enthusiastically promote TakeAction Minnesota’s and Black Visions Collective’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures and have a deep investment in our shared agenda for change.
- Complete and coordinate special projects as needed.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours that include evenings and weekends, and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment which requires occasionally lifting such articles as file boxes or heavier materials with help from others and/or lifting and carrying light objects frequently. A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree or may involve sitting most of the time with long periods of computer work and heavy phone usage.
This position is currently funded through June 30, 2021, with the possibility of extension if more funding is secured.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and starts at $50,000. Category: Manager 1.
- Full health and dental benefits and retirement package.
- This position is NOT a member of the Minnesota Newspaper and Communications Guild.
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
- This position reports directly to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- This position is located in our St. Paul office, but may be required to occasionally travel. In response to COVID-19, all employees are encouraged and resourced to work from home.
HOW TO APPLY
Send electronic cover letter, resume and three references attention Marcie Moravec, Director of Finance and Operations, care of email@example.com with the subject line BLVC HR MANAGER. Application review starts August 10th, 2020.
NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
TakeAction Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women.