You’ve probably heard by now: a draft majority opinion written by Justice Alito reveals that the Supreme Court has already voted to overturn our federal constitutional right to abortion established by Roe v. Wade.
We’re angry, heartbroken, and clear in our commitment to reproductive freedom. Abortion care is vital health care and must be available to everyone who needs it – no matter their gender identity, where they live, how much money they make, or whether they’re Black, brown or white.
Minnesota is quickly becoming an island for abortion care access. To be clear, if and when Roe is overturned, abortion will still be legal in Minnesota. It’s never been more important to protect and expand abortion care and remove barriers to access in our state. As our neighboring states continue to pass abortion bans, more and more people from across the country will be forced to come to Minnesota for abortion care – and our eight abortion clinics will see an unprecedented influx of patients. Donate to abortion funds to help connect people with the resources, support, and care they need to access abortion in Minnesota. (Scroll down for a list of donation links.)
In Minnesota, our right to an abortion is protected by our state constitution, but we don’t have a pro-choice majority in the legislature, and our reproductive rights are under attack by the same anti-choice forces behind abortion bans being passed in our neighboring states. We even saw a Texas SB8 lookalike bill introduced in the Minnesota Senate this spring, and anti-abortion amendments are still being pushed at the Capitol as lawmakers work to wrap the 2022 legislative session. This fall, we must continue to fight to protect our reproductive freedom in Minnesota by electing pro-choice candidates at every level of government.
The leaked SCOTUS decision is harmful and heartbreaking – but this news only reinforces our commitment to protect and expand reproductive health care in Minnesota and across the nation. When we stand up together, our collective voice is greater and more powerful than the anti-choice politicians, think-tanks and special interest groups working to erode our democracy and take away our constitutional rights.
Donate to an essential reproductive freedom organization today. These critical groups are providing direct services, support, and advocacy for abortion care access, and need our support now more than ever.
Our solidarity in this moment is critical to protecting reproductive freedom – and we’re clear that this SCOTUS decision is about so much more than abortion access. Overturning Roe threatens the precedent that protects our constitutional human rights, from marriage equality and interracial marriage to trans rights and access to birth control. The implications of this ruling are far-reaching, and we all have a stake in what happens next.
We’re going to keep fighting for health care access, our reproductive freedom, and for our civil and human rights – in Minnesota, and across the country. Take action with us today: donate to any – or all – of the essential groups listed below.
Eight organizations to donate to NOW:
- UnRestrict Minnesota: Coalition working to protect and expand abortion access in Minnesota
- Our Justice: Minnesota abortion assistance fund and lodging program
- Whole Woman’s Health Alliance: Online and in-person abortion care provider in Minnesota and beyond
- Pro-Choice Minnesota: Advocacy group working to advance reproductive rights in Minnesota
- Gender Justice: Minnesota-based legal advocacy firm fighting for gender equality, trans rights and reproductive freedom across the Country
- WE Health: Duluth-based reproductive health and abortion care provider
- Just the Pill: Online medication abortion care provider
- SPIRAL Collective: Providing trauma-informed, client- and healing-centered practical abortion support, community-based education, and culture/narrative shifting practice.